With the New Year upon us, there is no better time to put together a list of running goals for 2008. With 2007 being pretty successful, especially since I didn’t have much of a plan, I’m looking forward to an even better 2008. I have yet to identify any particular time goals for races although I might go for a personal record at the Pike’s Peek.
After writing everything out, I realize that my schedule is about as ambitious as it was last year. Unfortunately I was sidelined by injury a couple of times and those caused me to miss a bunch of events (two half-marathons and a 10-miler). So I suppose I should add “smart training” as a goal as well. My body doesn’t respond well to a lot of fast training (too much pounding) so I’ll be mixing things up this year.
So, without further ado, here’s my 2008 plan:
- Completing the Tinkoff 1000: This was an idea started by Adam Tinkoff of The Zen Runner and Another Runner podcasts fame. The idea is to run 1,000 miles in a year. On January 13 I have 44 miles under my feet so I’m on pace for about 1,056. We’ll see how that goes. From April 2007 through the end of the year I did 768 miles, but I’m not sure how many I had prior to April.
- Podcasts: I really want to contribute to a running podcast since I listen to a bunch of them and want to give a little payback for the free content fellow runners produce. I’ll probably start contributing to The Extra Mile Podcast.
- Shooting Star 5-mile run: January 19, 2008
- St. Patrick’s Day 8K: March 9, 2008
- Piece of Cake 10-mile race: March 22, 2008
- Pike’s Peek 10k race: April 27, 2008
- Bethesda Trolley 5 Mile: May 10, 2008
- Capital Crescent Run 5k race: June 1, 2008
- Rockville Rotary Twilight 8K: July 19, 2008
- Riley’s Rumble half marathon (13.1-miles): July 27, 2008
- Annapolis 10-mile Run: August 24, 2008
- Parks Half Marathon: September 14, 2008
- World Wide Half Marathon: Date TBD
- Rockville 5K/10K: November 2, 2008
- Turkey Chase 10k race: Date TBD
- Jingle Bell Jog 8k race: December 14, 2008